Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sick of it All

The past few days have been full of excitement! There is a lot of sarcasm in that statement! BTW, just a warning that this is probably going to be a long post!

On Monday I noticed that Parker's bottom was looking bad again and he also complained again that night of his ears hurting when Adam put his plugs in for bath time. I called his pediatrician on Tuesday morning and he told me that the strep infection is common to come back if the original antibiotic isn't strong enough. He was originally on Amoxicilin; now he is on a 10 day round of Augmentin. Dr. Lin said that with the stronger antibiotic, it should be gone for good. Let's hope so anyway!!!

I also called his ENT Tuesday morning to get an appointment and we go next Thursday. When Parker was diagnosed with an ear infection a couple of weeks ago, Dr.Lin said it was very mild and just slightly red. There is no reason, especially after being on antibiotics, for his ear to still be hurting. I could just be paranoid, but with all the problems he has had with his ears, it makes me wonder if something else is going on. When we go to the ENT, he will be able to do a thorough exam and also test his hearing. If for no other reason, it will give Adam and I peace of mind.

On Wednesday morning I woke up with some slight pain, but with all of my tummy issues, I just disregarded it as my usual symptoms. Throughout the morning my pain started getting a lot worse. It was from underneath my ribs to about two inches below, on my right side. As the day went on, the pain kept getting worse and WORSE. I couldn't get in to see a doctor, so I eventually went to the ER. I HATE the ER!!!!

I got there at 6:45 and was finally called back at 9:00. They did the normal tests; a urinalysis and blood work. The doctor came over and went over all my symptoms with me and a background check. He was pretty sure it was my gallbladder, but couldn't do a diagnosis without doing a sonogram. They got me into a private room (forgot to mention I was in the hallway!), and the doc came in with a portable sonogram machine. He discovered that I have sludge in my gallbladder that was/is causing the pain. If you click on the highlighted sludge, it will take you to a website that explains what it is.

There is pretty much nothing I can do for the pain, except take pain pills, which I won't do. Pain pills have never done anything for me in the past, and if there was one that actually worked for me, how would I be able to take care of the kids? I am going to go see my regular doctor tomorrow for a follow-up and see if there is anything she recommends. The pain will come when my gallbladder "flares up", so luckily I won't be constant pain. When I have a flare-up, the pain could last anywhere from 1 to a few days.

If anyone has ever gone through this personally, let me know if you have any suggestions. The doctor last night told me that it would feel a lot worse when I ate if I was having a flare-up, and he was NOT lying. I ate dinner tonight and am so regretting it. Not only is the pain back 100%, but I feel nauseous!

Whew! That was a long post! Sorry! I will give y'all an update tomorrow after my appointment and I will give y'all a Parker update next Thursday afternoon.

I hope everyone else is feeling well. Love you all!


Kippy said...

No fun. As far as the gallbladder business... my mom was dealing with that for about 6 months until, finally, she decided to have her gallbladder out. She's like a new woman! Just something to think about...

The Seymore's said...

Yuck Heather! I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad!

Melody said...

I'm sorry, Heather! My friend had her gallbladder removed a few months back, and she feels a ton better. I hope you don't have any more flare-ups! :(

Michelle said...

I just got to catch up on your blog! Sounds like a busy couple of days! Keep me updated after the appointment!